Sweet Potato Pie
Jen’s First Attempt at Sweet Potato Pie
Remember how I said that I a have a tendency to make the occasional mistake when cooking. I am by no means a foodie, chef, connoisseur or homemaker but I try. I think last weekend I made the best mistake ever. On allrecipes.com I found what looked like a pretty easy sweet potato pie recipe. I’ve only eaten it once and loved it. Since my family never brings sweet potato pie to family gatherings I decided I’d give it a try. After all, we’re southern and should enjoy this southern classic dish.
I’m not big on making my own pie crust so, I bought a frozen pie crust to put the mixture into. Since my pie crust came in a package of two and I have no plans to cook another pie anytime soon, I decided to double the recipe and bake two pies. In typical Jennifer style, I started dumping ingredients into the bowl and realized that I didn’t have enough sugar and was out of Splenda as well. I had just enough sugar to do one and a half pies. “I know”, I thought. “I’ll just add ingredients for one and a half pies but used both sweet potatoes and surely there will be enough. Hopefully, it turns out okay.”
Can I just say, that was a pretty big gamble to take however, I ended up with a couple of scrumptious sweet potato pies and enjoyed ours enough to give the second pie to my neighbors. They loved it! I’d make it again in a heartbeat, hopefully it will turn out as delicious the second time around.
Here’s the recipe for 2 pies as edited by Jennifer purely by accident.
2 pie crusts 9-inches
2 pounds sweet potatoes (They are huge and in season so you’ll probably only need two.)
1 1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
The recipe called for ground nutmeg but I left that out.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Boil sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes. Drain. (Don’t cook them too long or your pie will become mushy.)
- Use a hand mixer to mash the potatoes.
- Pour into the mashed sweet potatoes the rest of the ingredients: sugar, butter, milk, eggs, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Mix in bowl on low speed.
- Pour sweet potato mixture into your prepared or in my case frozen pie crusts.
- Bake in 350 degree oven on middle rack until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 45 min to 1 hour.